Friday, January 25, 2008

i can always count on you for a laugh

let's not lie, this past week has been rough to say the least. i've been fighting some sort of sickness (a.k.a. the devil) and it has yet to give up it's awful plot to overtake my insides. my dad's car got broken into while he was out of town. work is no fun. it's raining, cold, and depressing outside. and to top things off i'm refraining from substance abuse so i can't even turn to a bottle for comfort. (though last night Dave and i rationalized that smoking weed is ok.) (whoa, double parenthesis action - i just re-read the statement about turning to a bottle and it just sounds worse than intended. there is no need for an intervention. i am ok.)

luckily, when all is said and done at the end of the day i still have my ridiculous sense of humor and a slew of things that can make me smile just by thinking of them. among the things that can tickle my fancy:

pictures
they say a picture is worth a thousand words - i say a picture is worth a thousand laughs. i love looking at pictures. old pictures, new pictures, digital photos, hard copy prints - i don't care. putting myself back in that exact moment in time helps me remember all i have to be grateful for. my friends, my family, the places i've been, the parties i've had... plus you almost forget about the present even if it's only for a second. i've been print happy lately and have been ordering from QOOP left and right. next stop, Aaron Brothers for their 1 cent frame sale. i'm getting giddy already.

American Gladiators
who doesn't love grown adults that go by obscure names and wear ridiculous costumes battling it out against other grown adults whose main goal is to crash through a giant wall of giant foam blocks? because i do. possibly even better than the show itself is coming up with new Gladiator names and/or events. last night i came up with some of my best ones yet, spitting out names such as "Injection" and "Cracy" (pronounced kray-see, and clearly a Mexican gladiator).

text messaging
i've always been a fan of texting but in recent weeks my appreciation for the text message has been heightened. for example, the other night i asked Jason to text me when he got home because it was mildly late, we had been drinking all day, and i didn't really want him driving in the first place. he did. but i was on the phone with Dani when i got it, so i neglected to read it right away. clearly Jason grew impatient and wanted to make sure i would write him back so he sent a follow up text that simply said "respond". i don't know why that made me laugh so hard, but it did and now if people don't respond to my text messages in what i consider to be a timely manner i use Jason's "respond" tactic.

after going over all that, i guess my week/life isn't really all that bad. and i didn't even touch on the great "bodega" debate... but don't you worry your pretty little head. i will.

No comments: